Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mind Maps 1 and 2 discussion

When I started mind maps I was unsure of what my main topic was going to be. For my first one I decided CAREER was going to be my first topic of choice. I wrote it in big bold red letters in the center of the page. After all the letters had been colored in and enclosed with a cloud like shape made from a thick black line I began thinking. I started wondering what the definition of a career was and what it meant to me. Careers are obviously important because they provide a paycheck which is how we survive without going hungry. A paycheck is also a sign of success. How does a person get a good job? The word college was the first that I wrote down which led me to also write major, gpa, and minor. I felt college was important because a career is really the reason I am at college myself. I also wrote paycheck, location, and enjoyment because all of them are factors I would take into account when considering a career. I drew a sun over a beach under enjoyment because I like places that are warm and sunny by the water. I also wrote down family because my parents are who put me through school. I wrote relationship because being in a relationship can be a factor when choosing to accept a job or not. I tried to make things a little more colorful as I had time waiting for words to pop into my head that I wanted to write down.
Because enjoyment was one of the words I wrote on the CAREER mind map I wanted it to be the center focus of my second mind map. One thing I do not want to be is a person stuck in a career path that he does not enjoy. A career is something you will be waking up for everyday of the week and it would be miserable if you dreaded going to work each day. I chose to write ENJOYMENT in the color red again because I felt as if it is an eye catching color and would grab attention. I put a yellow highlight behind the letters to catch the eye even more. Some words I wrote were sports, soccer, and fantasy football. I’ve played soccer my whole life and have always enjoyed it whereas fantasy football is a relatively newer activity that I’ve started doing with my friends. Friends is also a word I wrote down because I enjoy spending time with them and they might have a part in my decision as to how far I am willing to travel in order to pursue my career. While I waited for more words to pop into my head I started connecting the words on the page already with red lines outlined with a black border. I’ve moved around a lot and traveled over Europe and Asia and I hope to be able to afford to do that myself in my future so I put traveling on the map. I thought about the time I lived in Paris and while I did so I drew a crappy unidentifiable Eiffel Tower. I thought about my family and wrote home on the map as well. I thought of my home. Cluckin Russian, internet, dog, and college were the next words down as I thought about being home with my family and friends. I made sure all the words were connected and decided I was done with my map. It is not as visually well represented as I wish it could be but it was my first time making a mind map so I’m not that concerned.

1 comment:

  1. Geoff, Interesting and colorful maps... you veered a little away from the "grammar" of the genre by not putting your words ON the lines. And that might have been useful for you... words on the lines would have left more room for you to flush those ideas out. Instead the words lay at the end of the lines and might have acted as verbal "jersey" barriers. It's surprising what the subconscious mind does with what it sees. You really went down the concept map road in your second map when you tried to connect all the words to each other. In a mind map, that's not necessary... they just need to radiate out from the center.

    Now, in your rationale... you do a good job of describing the steps you took, but you didn't go into any real detail about what that experience FELT like... what problems did you encounter? How did you solve them? What AHA! moments did you have? What did you learn from the whole experience. This is just the first blog post, so we have room for improvement the next time. Don't spend so much time explaining the CONTENT of your visual to me... the visual should do that on its own. Tell me about what I can't see... what was going on when you were making the many little and big decisions about what you created.

    ReplyDelete