Thursday, January 20, 2011

story board





For the first story in this post (zombies) I decided to use the image of a man praying along with the image of the four people walking in a dusty ruins with masks on. I chose to use these two images before even thinking of a plot line because I figured the four people walking with masks on looked like they were a part of some kind of disaster which often times involves people praying. The first idea that came to mind to use for a plot line was the terrorist attack of september 11. I figured that this topic might be too emotional for some people though to use in such an assignment, especially if the images I used brought up bad memories for some people. Then I had the idea of using a zombie theme. Zombie movies and games are "big" right now and I enjoy them. I took a cause and effect approach to presenting the images. The majority of zombie films starts off with an explanation about how the zombie disease came about and was spread but sense I only had four images to work with I figured I would start with the man praying and stating that an epidemic has started to spread which is why the man is praying in the first place. Because I used a story that would take place across a large  time-line I had to explain what was going on mostly in writing while using the images to support my statements. However I also wanted people to be able to understand what was going on in the story even if the words were not next to the images and I think I did this successfully. The image of the man praying is followed by a image of a bunch of infected zombies which provides the reason for the man praying. Then the nuclear mushroom cloud is shown followed by the four guys walking in a ruined environment so the audience knows that there are still survivors who are clearly human at the end of  a tragic event.

Being a long time soccer player and fan myself, I chose to use the photo of the soccer players forming a wall for my second story. For those people who do not know, the formation the the four boys are in is called a wall and it is formed by players on defense when a player is allowed a free kick. I am pretty sure that the transitions i used in this story board are action-to-action. At first I thought that maybe the time-frame I used was too short a period of time. This is also why I thought that this story board might be considered moment-to-moment. The hardest party for me was to find images where soccer players had on generally the same colored jerseys. I did not think I could make sense of the story board without the colors remaining generally the same. The general story is that one player gets fouled and is given a penalty kick because of it. Despite the defense setting up a wall, the penalty shooter scores and wins the game for his team. The transitions I decided were more like action-to-action because I show the penalty taking place, the defense forming a wall, the shot, and the celebration of the winning team. Again I wanted to make it so that the viewer would be able to determine what is going on in the story without having to look at the descriptions next to the photos. I think I achieved this goal despite the second photo obviously containing kids much younger then in the three other photos that I used from the internet. If I could add one more photo to this group I think I would have added one of a referee signaling for a penalty kick or a scoreboard which displays the score being tied and the time being towards the remaining minuets of the game in order to show the importance of the penalty kick.

1 comment:

  1. The part that you forgot the mention in your blog was what kind of transitions you used (Scott McCloud's 6 transitions...)

    ReplyDelete