Thursday, January 6, 2011

Geographical Map


For assignment number two I chose to do a geographical map. The territory I chose to include in my map is the path I take when I drive to school coming from Portsmouth. It was clear to me that the most challenging part of creating my desired map was going to be choosing what landmarks or recognizable buildings to draw. I decided to start with drawing my house sense that is where my journey to school would begin anyway. Where to put the house on the page was an immediate problem. At first I was just going to put it in the center of the page but realized when I visually mapped out the route in my head that having my house in the center of the page would not allow enough room to draw the journey effectively.  My house is on the water so after I drew it onto my map I filled in water represented by blue squiggle lines and beach in the proper relative areas. I then started to draw the road a little bit at a time. I decided the first recognizable structure someone might see taking this journey from my house would be Flows, a popular food spot famous for their clam rolls. I drew a building like structure and drew a sign labeled flows on top of it in bright orange so that it would be easy to see and read. After flow there is a right turn in the road where there are two visible small bodies of water on either side surrounded by grassy wetlands. I drew the bodies of water and colored them blue sense water is blue and that is the color most often used to represent it. I surrounded the bodies of water with shades of green to represent the grassy wetlands. Because a highway is a major road I drew a small off road which is the turn to get onto the highway and labeled it highway with red writing. Baypoint is only another road down so I drew an off road  and drew a picture and labeled baypoint on the map. Right before you go over the bridge you come to a stop sign and traffic light. I wanted to have these on the map without writing the words stop or traffic light. I drew the outline of a stop sign and colored it in to the best of my ability and did the same with the stop light. I was concerned about how to draw the bridge due to my art abilities so I came up with the idea of just curving the road in an arch shape and writing Mt Hope bridge under it along with blue squiggle lines to show the it is over water.  At the end of the bridge is a traffic light so I drew another one of those along with the final destination which is obviously RWU.

1 comment:

  1. Geoff, where is the visual? I can't see it in your blog. That's half the points. If it's a technical problem, let's fix it right away or things will quickly go down hill. I'm disappointed that I can't see it because I actually wanted to know where Flo's Clamshack is in Portsmouth! We're a tad short on the word count as well... a final paragraph outlining what you learned from the experience would have taken care of that.

    ReplyDelete