Friday, January 7, 2011

Collage assignment

I would say that the theme of my collage could be considered a materialistic one. The breasts in the center of the page look as if they are the center of focus and all the other pictures seem to sort of circle around that. However given more time I think I would have filled the entire page so that there would be no circle.
There is a organization of colors. All the blues are in one spot on the left side of the page, all the red and oranges are at the top and all the darker shades are on the right side. Also images of guys or guy like things are on the right side while girls are on the left. This is except for the mens polo cologne, however cologne is used for impressing girls so at the same time there is an argument for it being around the girls side of the collage. 
As I was creating my collage I kept thinking about how the only magazine i have was a Maxim and that every image that appears to grab my attention is one of a minimally dressed model. I also kept thinking that there was no way I was going to get 20 images or words cut out in time. At first I started taking full page images out of my magazine until i realized that that wasn't a practical way to make a collage and would have to trim the size of the images down. At first I was strictly looking for images and did not even consider cutting out words to use until I saw the phrase "Man Skills" in bold black letters and knew i wanted that on my collage.
When it comes to the brain and how it finds and remembers patterns, I think that it is easier to recognize and identify patterns that are used if you "take a step back" from what is being observed and looking at it from a small distance before getting closer and seeing images in more detail. I think most people tried to organize their images into related areas whether it was done consciously or unconsciously. 

1 comment:

  1. Geoff, nice reflection... I think you would have benefited from a visit to the magazine box -- it might have broadened your pool of images. But, that being said, you did a good job in arranging what you got. It's a subconscious creativity exercise, after all. No time to over-think. Good work!

    ReplyDelete